Cooking is fun, isn’t it? Who doesn’t like the delicious tastes of the fried momos, French fries, and chicken strips! They’re amazing. Some cooking accessories have the ability to cook lip-smacking meals in no time, while some others are really time-consuming.
In recent days, some people often claim that air fryers work wonders in frying things with a fraction of oil. They also claim that the advanced cooking styles of these modern-day fryers make them amazing when compared to traditional deep fryers while delivering similar taste, fragrance, and texture, what’s more!
It’s also considered a “healthier” alternative to deep frying. An air fryer is a popular kitchen appliance used to make fried foods such as meat, pastries, and potato chips.
Similarly, some others claim that a microwave oven is perfect for delivering great tastes with the electromagnetic radiation that has made it evolve as a versatile kitchen appliance. Since, the crockery offers a range of uses, reheats while cooking food, disinfects the health-damaging kitchen items, makes citrus fruit juicier, and de-crystallizes honey, it’s often chosen as a better alternative to numerous traditional fryers.
So, let’s dive deep into the topic to know which is better air fryer or microwave to prepare the fryer-roasted chicken and make it taste great.
Microwave Ovens vs Air Fryers- What is the Difference?
Kitchens are packed with conventional items like a microwave oven, a toaster, and a conventional oven. Many people often lack knowledge of other useful gadgets and appliances. In this context, an air fryer is a great utensil that makes cooking effortless. The compact device allows you the cooking delicious fried foods like crispy chicken, fish, or French fries without the involvement of deep frying in oil.
With the massive popularity of air fryers among some households and eating places, the demand for a microwave is gradually decreasing.
Here you’ll get the idea about air fryer vs microwave oven.
1. Heating Methods
The heating method is a crucial aspect that creates differences.
Microwave ovens produce microwaves. Air fryers use convection heating. Sounds simple? But that’s not enough. You must know the differences in depth.
- The vibration of the water molecules in the food with the microwaves is the end objective of the microwave ovens. On vibration of the molecules, heat gets generated for the adequate frying of the foodstuffs.
- On the other hand, the air fryer is designed in the manner that it operates the inbuilt heating coil to get heated up which allows the fan to blow the heat. The result is noticed with the even cooking meals within the frying basket.
- It’s essential to note that each appliance uses a different cooking technique that provides benefits in their ways. Now the problem often faced with air fryers is that it takes a lot of time to cook food.
- At the same time, since the cooking time is huge, you will get crispy and flavorful food. Microwaves are better in terms of the pace of cooking food incredibly. But you must keep in mind that the time shortening technique leads to the reduction of flavours.
Also Read: Microwave and OTG differences
2. Role of Temperature
Hot air circulation is an important characteristic when comparing cooking devices.
- Regular and advanced convection microwave ovens distribute hot air evenly. The technique is based on the adjustment of the temperature automatically. With this technique, it becomes easy for the user to cook a variety of dishes.
- Due to their large size, they often cook big courses. With convection microwave ovens, you’ll get the different culinary experiences without ever facing problems of food ending up undercooked. What’s the fascinating part is that the adequate delivery of heat to the middle and the edges cook the food adequately.
- On the other hand, when it comes to the air fryers, most of them implement the culinary innovation. With this accessory, you can limit the amount of oil. The basket added in these setups to place the food helps in reaching the peak performance level in frying. The added advantage is the ability to place the food on the kitchen counter. Compact designs allow it to stay on the counter without occupying much space easily.
The verdict is, in the battle of air fryer vs microwave convection microwave oven, the factor” temperature” plays an impressive role. Air fryers work to reach the needed higher temperatures, which leads to the preparation of delicate meals. Most people use it for the preparation of desserts. On the contrary, convection microwave ovens are often a failure when it comes to the cooking of delicate dishes and desserts.
So, if you ask us about which is better, “air fryer or microwave oven?” the answer is air fryers are more convenient, especially when you focus on the aspect of counter-top placement. At the same time, you must remember that convection ovens like convection toaster oven is a perfect countertop alternative as well.
3. Power Consumption
- An air fryer is different from other appliances as it takes time to reach the required cooking temperatures. In Air fryers, the powerful heating runs for less time and so, energy efficiency is an aspect that is quite appreciated. It ranges somewhere between 1200-1500 watts. However, there are differences when it comes to the choice of the 1200 watt and a 1500 watt air fryer.
- On the other hand, when you lay your focus towards the modern microwave oven, you will see that it consumes around 1200 watts for 30 minutes a day. Besides, using energy during cooking or heating, it uses 2 to 7 watts of additional power when it is kept in standby mode.
According to most homeowners, air fryers are a better alternative when it comes to the air fryer vs microwave power consumption criterion because it doesn’t consume power in its standby mode.
4. Health and Hygiene
These devices make the cooked and fried foodstuffs extremely healthy. Hot air circulation in both the cooking accessories makes the convection microwave ovens and air fryers engage in a similar technique. These systems use fans to produce and regulate the hot airflow. Unlike conventional ovens, these systems do not incorporate heating with the help of heating elements because it limits temperature regulation.
- Convection microwave ovens cook anything the way you want, and that’s evident. It serves the convenience in the manner that unlike frying pans or some other models of the deep fryers; you will have to add only a small amount of oil.
- The inbuilt technique ensures cooking by extracting the juices of the food instead of adding oils. So, now stay away from the problems of coping with the excess oil in food. Cooking the slices of meat is now effortless with the convection ovens if you want natural gravy.
However, it is good to remember that the air fryers are a healthier choice which can be bestowed to the fact that they do not require the addition of oil at all. Baking, frying, or anything else doesn’t require the addition of extra oils for retaining some moisture when it comes to cooking with the air fryers. They possess the ability to reach higher temperatures to decrease the time involved in the cooking process. A lot of nutrients remain intact when you use this cooking process.
5. Technological Superiority
When we try to set comparison in the manner of air fryer technology vs microwave, we have to point out the radiation factor specifically. Air fryer “radiation” can be bestowed by the fact that the system uses radiated heat to cook the foodstuffs. So, the harmful electromagnetic radiation does not pose any threat to the food. Most people consider it a better alternative than microwave ovens since the latter uses electromagnetic radiation in cooking foods.
Thus, in our opinion, air fryers are safe, which works on proven technology.
6. Cooking Capacity
The choice of any buyer is dependent upon this criterion. The size of the unit and the capacity are the two factors that matter the most. The kitchen supplies that limit movement are the worst nightmare for the person who has to cook all day.
- Convection ovens are big. Well, everyone knows that already. The placement is not countertop for most of the models. This factor lets most people opt for air fryers. Moreover, bending to place the food, regulating the cooking process makes the task an uncomfortable one. Since air fryers are small, they are easily stored in place.
- One must note that the bigger the size better is the cooking capacity. Convection microwave ovens have higher cooking capacity. The techniques used in these ovens help to break down the bigger chunks and cook them without manual labor.
- You can use proper utensils to bake cake in a microwave oven. Whereas, air fryers cannot bake bakes by any means.
Air fryers with smaller cooking capacities also hold deep chambers to cook large amounts. For this reason, it’s easy to fry French fries.
Which is better- Air Fryer or Microwave and Why?
Understanding technology helps to understand which can be a better option.
|Point of Difference||Air Fryer||Microwave Oven|
|Cooking Time||Cooking in an air fryer takes a higher time than in a microwave oven.||Microwaves cook faster than air fryers.|
|Quality of Cooked Food||Food cooked in an air fryer is crispier.||A microwave oven does not cook crispy food as much as an air fryer.|
|Cooking Capacity||The cooking capacity of an air fryer is quite less than a microwave oven.||Microwaves are giants compared to air fryers.|
|Power Consumption||Air fryers consume comparatively lower energy than microwave ovens.||Microwave oven’s electricity usage is slightly high.|
|Health And Hygiene||Air-fried food is healthier than cooked in a microwave oven.||Food cooked in a microwave oven contains more oil.|
|Technology||The food is cooked using heated air generated by a coil. It does not produce electromagnetic radiation to cook food.||Microwave ovens produce electromagnetic waves to cook food which is not as good as an air fryer.|
The functions and uses of a microwave oven are much different than an air fryer. Radiation in microwave ovens used to cook food often is considered a negative aspect. Since lots of energy is already packed in this process, it gives the benefit of cooking food fast. When compared to other cooking techniques and models, microwave ovens cook about six times faster.
On the other hand, the patented Rapid Air Technology lets the air fryers cook significantly well. The texture of the food is crispy and crunchy, which makes it popular among food-savvy people. Moreover, using 70-80% less oil makes it a better option over conventional gas burners and microwave ovens.
Eating fried foods cooked in the air fryers is a popular choice among people who are in love with fried foods. The “Easy to clean” feature also makes it an advanced appliance for a household.
So, if you want to eat healthier, choose an air fryer. On the contrary, if cooking capacity is a priority, it’s better to buy a microwave oven.
Two notable high-end Products
According to recent reviews on the internet, the IFB 20 L Convection Microwave Oven is a fantastic model for cooking large portions. It’s a model that will satisfy your expectations. Large capacity, strong wattage, and advanced features make it a great purchase for busy professionals.
American Micronic 3.5 L 1500 Watts Air Fryer is a countertop and decent-sized model that will prepare delicious French fries. Air roasting capacity, baking, air broiling, dehydration capability, toasting capacity, and functionality adds to the function of this model and lets it stand ahead in the competition.
Air Fryer or Microwave – Conclusion
Pick a model according to your choice that will be the right answer for your desired preferences and cooking styles. If you go through the product specifications and make a choice, we can promise you that you won’t have to regret the decision.
- Best Oil Extraction Machine for Home in India
- Solo Vs Grill Vs Convection Microwave Ovens
- Best Built-in Ovens in India