Today’s technology is all about two things- comfort and mobility. If you do not have access to a centrally air-conditioned space or you do not have the space to install a wall-mounted air conditioner, portable AC units might be a great solution for you.
Though it is a relatively new invention, it has its own perks! First of all, portable air conditioners are basically smaller air conditioning units that alter the temperature and humidity in the atmosphere of the interior of occupied space by removing excess heat and moisture.
If you do not want to go through the elaborate guide, you can just check out the Best Pick on amazon which we find the best in India in 2020.
- Blue Star 1 Ton Portable AC Best Buy
There are a number of things to keep in mind before finding the best portable air conditioner. You need to consider the floor space you can spare, the ideal position to set it up to ensure the highest amount of comfort. A few important factors are the capacity, size, cooling capacity, compressor types, thermostat, warranty, etc. Before we go to the extensive best portable air conditioners in India reviews, you can just go through the comparison of the selected ones.
Compare Best Portable Air Conditioners in 2020
Best Portable Air Conditioners in India Review
1. Blue Star 1 Ton Portable AC (Copper, PC12DB, White) – Best Price, Unique Features!
Best Product in Compact Size
This portable air conditioner is the ultimate solution for residential uses as it is a very small appliance with multiple unique features. There are different financial schemes available on Amazon or Snapdeal which makes it even more credible.
This particular model has various functions along with mobile characteristics.
- It uses a highly efficient rotary compressor system that allows it to optimize maximum cooling because of its built-in accumulator.
- It also has hydrophilic golden evaporator fins that prevent the condensation of water and continuously evaporates the accumulated amount. This reduces the accumulation of dust and other particles and automatically enhances the unit’s performance.
- The thermostat on the evaporator coil uses an antifreeze technology that prevents frost formation due to heat alteration. It is one of the most vital safety features which protects the system from damage.
- There is a ‘Tank Full Alarm’ which indicates the saturation of condensate water so that you can manually drain it out without having to suffer from excess water dripping.
- There is a specially designed filter that acts as a purifier, reducing the transmission of diseases through the air. This filter limits the metabolism and growth of bacteria passing through dust as it contains bactericide. It is an auto-sterilization process.
- Portable AC; 1 ton capacity
- Warranty: 1 year on product, 1 year on condenser, 5 years on compressor
- Anti-freeze thermostat
- Hydrophilic golden evaporator fins
- Tank full alarm , Cooling EER (W/W) :2.56,Power Input (Watt) :1404 ,Night Glow Function On Remote Button : Yes
- High efficiency rotary compressor
- Self diagnosis
- Dust and anti-bacterial silver coating
This air conditioner is designed thoroughly keeping the needs of the users in mind.
- It is fully remote controlled and has a feather touch electronic panel as well which makes it globally attractive.
- It has a programmed operational timer function that gives you the liberty of presetting desired cooling options for 24 programmable hours. Thus it provides an uninterrupted optimum cooling for as long as your desired time limit.
- The in-built caster wheels make the unit really movable across the floors without being a burden on your shoulders.
- The memory function allows the unit to remember the previously set options even if it is turned off unintendedly because of any power disruption.
- The sleep timer allows the machine to retain the user-desired option but gradually alters a little bit of temperature so that it is at per with the outer atmosphere.
- It has an ‘Error Code’ alarm that is buzzed or shown on the screen in case of faulty operations. This gives way to the users for a quick and hassle-free diagnosis.
Suitable for Different Weather Conditions
This particular product has a special feature called ‘Dry Mode’ which is highly useful during Monsoon. It rapidly removes the moisture from the air that otherwise makes the room clammy because of the high humidity. This function is not available on general air coolers and thus gives this portable air conditioning system a special edge.
Eco-Friendly and Energy Efficient
This portable AC uses the new environment-friendly refrigerant R410A. It has Zero Ozone-Depleting Substance and Polyester (POE) oil that makes space for better oil return properties. It also betters heat transfer characteristics. It has fine lubrication ability but it is also wax free.
The energy consumption of this product is really very less as it uses the latest compressor techniques. It requires only 230 volts. Also, its sleep mode feature maintains an optimum temperature level which saves a lot of energy.
2. Eurgeen Portable 4 in 1 for All Seasons (Model A5)- Multiple Usage, One Machine!
Multiple Features in an Impressive Budget
The best perk about this portable air conditioner is it also has three other temperature functions, all built and programmed within one single unit. In this way, this small yet versatile unit does wonder in all the seasons throughout the year.
You do not need to worry about it taking up unnecessary floor space during winter or monsoon, as it would prove to be highly efficient as a heater and dehumidifier as well. It also has an inbuilt fan which enhances its cooling facility.
In spite of being manufactured by a relatively lesser-known brand, this particular model has been appreciated by lots of customers because of its multiple, versatile functions.
- It has a very attractive, sleek design with a digital display.
- The thermostat is easily adjustable according to different temperature needs.
- The exhaust pipe setup is provided with the product along with the necessary windows venting kit. Through the help of the kit, the exhaust pipe can be fitted outside the window to drain the accumulated water ad bubbles.
- This machine conducts simultaneous functions like dehumidification and cooling at the same time. Where in the only AC mode, the system focuses solely on cooling: while using both dehumidification and AC, it will retain a particular temperature level along with removing excess humidity from the air.
- The temperature functions, including the cooling and heating, are done by the auto-evaporation technology.
- For All Seasons (Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier, Heater and FAN) covers up to 150 sq ft of area
- Since this is just 1320 watts, it can work in 5 amps also
- Drained water will automatically evaporated through the exhaust pipe .
- AUTO SWING, No need to carry , just move with the wheels,
- Installation kit will be provided, Customer Care Number is 8448449398
This 4-in-all air conditioning unit is extremely user-friendly as it gives the user various simple technical options to choose from.
- It is fully remote controlled which is highly reliable yet easier to operate. It has infrared light indicators and lithium button spaces for quick handling. It can function from up to 7 meters distances as well. There is a timer option that can be controlled via the remote.
- The intelligent display screen does not only show the temperatures but also showcases a wide range of functional buttons. It has instant mode buttons (warm/ dry) for quick operations along with the detailed mode or timer options.
- It has a 24 hours programmable timer that allows unaltered temperature control.
- It has smooth roller wheels which makes it very movable across places.
More Eco-friendly, Less Energy Consumer
This portable AC unit runs on a range of 180-240 volts electricity, making it compatible for various households. It only uses 1085 watts. It does not emit any dust particles through the exhaust and is thoroughly systematic in the drainage/ exhaustion function.
It spares 1320 watts but has a capacity of 1.2 tons. It is suitable for a relatively bigger space of around 120-150 sqft. It also performs all the four functions- cooling, heating, dehumidifying and fan. The dehumidification is stronger than the previous one as it can approximately absorb 80% of moisture at 30-degree temperature. The optimal operating temperature ranges from 5°C – 38°C.
In the air conditioning and heating mode, there is no need to drain the water manually as it is evaporated or exhausted automatically, but only in the dehumidifier mode, the accumulated water needs to be drained. It is also very portable and can be moved to places. If you are looking for a relatively bigger and effective portable AC, this might be a good alternative for you.
Also Read: Pros and Cons of an Inverter Air Conditioner
3. Honeywell 1.15 Ton Portable AC
Impressive 3-in-1 technology
The Honeywell 1.15 Ton portable AC comes with cooling, dehumidification, fan control together. Getting all these features together at a reasonable price in today’s market is difficult. The quality of cooling and dehumidification is quite good. The weight of the air conditioner is around 37 Kg as in houses the compressor, condenser, evaporator, dehumidifier together. But you can move it smoothly with the attached wheels when you need it to.
Cooling Capacity and Efficiency
This 1.15 Ton air conditioner is extremely good for small rooms with around 100 square feet of area with a high cooling capacity of 14000 BTU. This is highly efficient if you can use it properly. For the bigger size of rooms, it can lose efficiency and using it over an area of 120 feet is not recommended. In that case, you may need a higher capacity portable air conditioner. In the case of the dehumidifier, you can use it in a room up to around 550 square feet.
- 3-in-1: cooling, dehumidification & fan
- Easy DIY (Do-It-Yourself) installation
- Digital control panel with soft-touch buttons
- Automatic on-off timer & auto evaporation system
- Exhaust hose, drain pipe & window bracket included
4. Super General 1.5 Ton Portable AC (Copper, SGPI182, White): Bigger Capacity, More Features!
Perfect for a Big Indoor Space
This very recent portable air conditioner model is a perfect option for those who have a bigger space to control the temperature and can afford a good amount. The cooling capacity is 1.5 ton and can cool a space bigger than 180 sqft. It is a bit pricey but comes with a variety of features. It is a 3-in-1 unit that comes with a portable air conditioner cum dehumidifier cum fan system.
This model is a well-preferred one because of its smart outlook and special attributes.
- This is a 3-in-1 model that functions in different modes for different needs.
- This model uses a ‘No-Drip’ technology that prevents the leakage of excess water from the condenser.
- It has an anti-bacterial filter that prevents dust and hair into the machine and keeps it clean and hygienic in the long run. It also purifies the air of the accessible interior space. The filter is easily cleanable with running water.
- It has a digital display with exciting features.
- It has a 2lt water tank capacity that allows the unit to cool the adjacent space real quick and to maintain the temperature for a long time without having to drain the water constantly.
- Type: Portable AC
- 1.5 Ton Capacity: Suitable for medium sized rooms (120 to 180 sq ft)
- Warranty: 1 year warranty on product and 5 years warranty on compressor
- Special Feature: 3-in-1: Air conditioner, dehumidifier and fan, No drip technology and anti-bacterial air filter, 2 Litres Water Tank Capacity
Ease of Use and Installation
Not a lot of brands offer in house product installation and that too within 48 hours of delivery. But this product’s manufacturer assures the users with this exciting benefit.
Along with that, it also features lots of user-friendly characteristics:
- The smooth roller wheels are a huge help as it reaffirms the factor of portability. This particular model is a bigger one, so accurate mobility matters a lot.
- The timer function allows the user to preset a particular time and temperature so that the unit can shut down itself after reaching the specified temperature level.
- It uses an average amount of energy. The timer function makes it even more energy efficient for regular use.
- The LED display makes it a smart looking appliance, suitable for urban houses.
5. Garrison 2477821 Portable Cool-Only Air Conditioner (White)
Lightweight but Highly Efficient
This particular AC unit from Garrison is a lifesaver as it gives both comfort and global features. It is a 1-ton portable air conditioner with four caster wheels for easy access. The AC has no bucket evaporative technology so that it doesn’t make a mess from the spilled water. It has four different temperature modes which make it extremely versatile.
- Bucketless evaporation system
- Electric control panel with digital read out remote control
- 4 Mode control: fan/cool/dehumidifier/auto
- 4 Casters, window exhaust kit included
There are multiple unique features.
- It has an auto-restart button and comes with a fan with three different speed settings.
- 4-in-1 features: It has an AC, heater, dehumidifier and fan options for different kinds of usage.
- It is fully remote- controlled with an LED display which makes it easy to monitor the temperature in both centigrade or Fahrenheit units. The electronic panel is fully touch-based and gives a smarter vibe.
- It uses a bucketless evaporation system for the accumulated water and keeps the machine functional without any leakage.
- It has an easy-mount single hose exhaustion system and comes with a window venting kit for user accessibility.
- Needs two AAA batteries.
Best Portable AC Buying Guide
There are several important factors that you must consider before buying any kinds of portable air conditioners. First of all, you should not focus only on the appearance of the product but also analyze the important features and the warranty period.
Secondly, you should also consider which brand to go for as it is very important to have access to proper customer care and servicing facilities. Portable air conditioners operate like wall-mounted or window set air conditioners only but they have some specific intrinsic features which you should be aware of so that you can choose the right product for yourself.
Let’s take a look at the kinds of portable air conditioners and their functions, general features and other important factors to consider for a fuller, wholesome knowledge.
Appropriate Size and Properties of the Room
The first thing that needs to be looked into is the appropriate size of the room which then would decide how much capacity is a must for the portable AC unit. Portable AC units are usually very small in size and do not take much of the floor space but you need to allot a well-calculated position to the machine from where it can even control the temperature.
The optimum level of temperature moderation is only possible if the machine is not blocked by any other furniture etc. But it should also have nearby access to a window for the exhaustion system.
Whether it is a self-evaporative or condenser-based or manual drainage portable air conditioner, a proper exhaustion system needs to be set up before the installation of the product to ensure hazard-free, easy operations.
Coming to the cooling capacity of the portable AC units, you must remember the satisfactory performance of the unit depends largely on how big a room it is being used for. BTU( British Thermal Unit) is the global unit to measure up the average cooling capacity of an air conditioner.
The higher number of BTUs in an air conditioner is directly proportional to the bigger size of the room. Generally, a 150 sq ft room needs a unit of more than 5000 BTUs at least. You must decide what room size you are buying the portable AC unit for, before deciding the size and model.
Generally speaking, if you are going for a closed, average bedroom you might do with a single hose (to be discussed afterward) 10000 BTUs unit easily. But if you want to cool a bigger living room, you should go for a higher configuration with a possible double hose system as it would cool a bigger space quickly.
Most portable AC units are still a bit pricey as they are very new in vogue. But considering the number of facilities and attributes, it might be worth it. If you do not want to burn a hole in your pocket with a centrally air-conditioned system, it is wiser to spend after a portable AC unit at a time.
Many well-known brands offer a range of products with multiple features and versatile functions within a budget of 30k-35k. If your requirement is mainly for a compact indoor space, like a bedroom, a single hose unit would be suitable for you and they are really very cost-effective. But if you want a cooling solution for a bigger space, your cost will automatically increase.
Adjustable or programmable thermostats might increase the cost as well, but those things are a must for the tech-savvy generation. Many models nowadays come with different temperature settings like heating or dehumidifying, naturally with a surged price. Just remember, you need to finalize a model based on your specific needs that are both worthy and useful.
Ventilation Process/ Hoses:
The most important factor of a portable AC unit is the ventilation process of the machine. Most recognized brands usually offer an exhaustion system with the system itself. It might be called a ‘Window Venting Kit’ as the exhaust pipe is primarily put outside through a window. But if you do not have access to a window, it might just be taken outside through a hole in the wall.
The water exhaustion system can be of three types: Self-evaporative, Condenser based and Manual. The self evaporative system automatically evaporates the hot air bubbles and emits them outside through the exhaust pipe. T
herefore it does not require any manual water drainage and thus saves a lot of energy and time. Eurgeen Portable 4 in 1 for All Seasons( Air Conditioner, Heater, Dehumidifier and as a Fan) model uses such a self-evaporative system as a whole, but the dehumidifier mode needs a manual drainage system.
Blue Star 1 Ton Portable AC (Copper, PC12DB, White) model uses a condenser based technology where the accumulated water is stored in a tank, but the assuring part is this model features a ‘Tank Full’ alarm that indicates the time of water removal.
The number of hoses varies from model to model. Single hose exhaust uses the same hose for both intake and exhaust of air in the machine, It is quite efficient and suitable for a closed interior space. It is useful for customers who are looking for a cheaper solution, The double hose AC unit uses two separate hoses for the intake and exhaust of air.
This design not only saves more energy but also cools the room 40% quicker than a single host unit. But the cost of a double hose AC unit might be a bit higher than a single hose unit.
For ease of use, you need to keep an eye out for a number of things.
- Programmable Thermostat: It can give you the option of choosing the desired temperature level and is also super energy efficient. It turns off the machine as soon as it reaches the specified temperature.
- Sleep Timer and Memory Functions: It can retain the desired preset functions and continue managing an optimum temperature level without interruption.
- Remote Control: The portable machine should have a fully remote-controlled system for comfortable and easy access.
- User-Friendly Interface: Best models come with an electronic display panel these days, with proper gesture functions and smooth feather touch. The instant mode buttons can take the unit up to a notch.
- Multiple Modes: Most models come with an AC/Fan swing option. If you are looking for a multiple temperature control system in one single unit, the portable AC/ Heater/ Dehumidifier/ Fan combo might be the best way out for you.
You May Also Like: Top 5 Designer Ceiling Fans to brighten your living room
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no absolute answer to this question. The best kind of portable air conditioner would be the one that satisfies your specific needs, If you are looking for a cheaper appliance with a primary function of cooling, Blue Star 1 Ton Portable AC (Copper, PC12DB, White) might be the right choice for you.
But if you are looking for a more compact and versatile unit, you can go for Eurgeen Portable 4 in 1 for All Seasons( Air Conditioner, Heater, Dehumidifier and as a Fan) model.
Our suggestion would be to consider the factors stated above and then decide on the portable air conditioner that you want to buy.
It depends on the size and model of the product. The more the features are, the more will be the energy consumption. However, the modern-day portable air conditioners do take electricity consumption into consideration at the time of production.
Both the Blue Star 1 Ton Portable AC (Copper, PC12DB, White) and Eurgeen Portable 4 in 1 for All Seasons use a very low amount of electricity. They spare less than 1500 watts when used on a regular basis.
Portable air conditioning units are definitely worth buying if you are unable to go for central cooling or permanent cooling solutions.
If you rather want to specifically alter the temperature of a specific small setup within an affordable budget, this might be the ultimate thing for you, It does not require the external hard work of wall mounting or window-based setup, as the unit can be easily driven around with the help of roller/ caster wheels.
Most recent models offer a range of temperature solutions such as heating or dehumidifying which makes it even more worthy of buying, With the increasing rate of pollution, a suitable portable AC unit with anti-bacterial filter can function as an air purifier as well, without having to spend on multiple appliances. Overall, portable air conditioners are the new age cooling solutions for the smart gen, urban spaces.
How are portable air conditioners different than normal ACs or air coolers?
Unlike wall-mounted or window-based ductless or multi-split AC units, portable air conditioners are easy to move around rooms or houses and you can even store them away when you do not need them.
They are also more effective than the air cooler units which might seem very similar in appearances but are quite different in functionality. Most air coolers do not operate well in highly humid areas as their main functional system is evaporative. Therefore, areas that experience a high percentage of humidity are ideal for the usage of air conditioners.
Last Few Words to Sum Up
In this article, we talked about the kinds of portable AC units available in India and their best features, We also discussed a detailed buying guide for an instant and quick yet thorough understanding of portable air conditioners.
And, if you do not have access to the permanent installation of cooling systems, portable ACs are definitely the thing for you. Check out the complete buying guide below to understand which things to remember or what specifications to look for before buying the appropriate portable air conditioner suitable for your needs.
Portable air conditioners are just in trend and will definitely take over the market in the coming years. Hope this article fulfills your queries about the best portable AC in India and helps you make a wise choice while buying your own portable air conditioner.
You May Also Like
Last update on 2020-04-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API