To keep updated with the modern technologies and with fluctuating LPG prices, it is necessary to have an Induction Cooktop at every home. But, when we go to select an Induction Cooktop, the first thing that makes us think is- what should be the Best Wattage for Induction Cooktop?
We may get very doubtful if the rated wattage of the cooktop is high. Higher wattage means higher electricity consumption. So, it seems that you should not select a higher Induction Cooktop wattage.
But, that is the WRONG concept!
While selecting the best wattage for Induction Cooktop, you must know that, with higher wattage, the time required to produce the heat is low. The consumption of electricity depends on how much electricity is consumed per second and the time required to consume it.
Therefore, you should also consider the time required to consume electricity when selecting an Induction Cooktop.
Range of Wattage of Induction Cooker
How many watts does an induction stove use?
To find the answer, you should know that the range of wattage for an Induction cooker is much broad. The Induction Cooker wattage varies from brand to brand for different products. Generally, the brands mention the maximum wattage available for a particular Induction Cooktop. For example, the Philips Viva Collection HD4928/01 2100-Watt Induction Cooktop has a rated maximum wattage of 2100. But you can adjust it to 120W, 500W, 800W, 1000W, 1300W, 1600W, 1800W and 2100W according to the cooking requirements. Therefore, higher the wattage is, more the options for cooking are available. Check these Top-Rated Cooktops on Amazon.
But, how many watts for induction stove is good for use?
The Best wattage for an Induction Cooktop depends upon these two factors- Electricity consumed per second and the duration of cooking. Electricity consumed depends on the setting for wattage on the operating panel of the cooktop. If you closely look at this formula, you can get a clear idea of what induction stove wattage you need.
Electricity Consumed During Cooking= (Electricity Consumed per Second) x Time Taken
Let’s say, to cook a particular recipe on a gas stove you need to use the medium flame for 5 minutes.
So, cooking time= 5 minutes
Now, let us consider an Induction Cooktop with 2000 watts of rated power. You can adjust it with the inbuilt option. Consider the following 3 options.
1. Cooking with 1500 watts on Induction Cooker
Energy Consumed= ( 1500 x 5)/ 60 = 125 watt-hour or 0.125 kWh or units.
If your unit rate is Rs 6/unit, it will cost you only 75 paise.
2. Cooking with 1000 watts on Induction Cooktop
In this case, the cooking time may increase to 8 minutes due to low heat.
Energy Consumed= ( 1500 x 8)/ 60 = 200 watt-hour or 0.2 kWh or units.
If your unit rate is Rs 6/unit, it will cost you Rs 1.2.
3. Cooking with 2000 watts on induction Stove
In this case, the cooking time may decrease to 3 minutes for higher heat.
Energy Consumed= ( 2000 x 3)/ 60 = 100 watt-hour or 0.1 kWh or units.
If your unit rate is Rs 6/unit, it will cost you only 60 paise.
The above cost is lower when you compare with a gas stove too.
From the above analysis, it is quite clear that higher is the wattage, lower is the cooking time & electricity consumption and more monetary savings. We can see that the lower wattage can cost you more electricity bill than the higher wattage range. However, you cannot always reduce cooking time by heating the food more. It depends upon the type of food you are cooking. If your recipe is boiling-based like rice, tea, Maggi, khichdi, etc, you can use higher wattage settings to cook efficiently. But if you are frying something or cooking semi-dry items such as fish fry, chicken pakora, poha, etc, you need optimal settings for wattage as higher wattage may burn out the food.
Induction Cooktop Power Consumption Calculator
Enter the right details in the following boxes and calculate the induction cooker electricity consumption per hour.
5 Tips to Select an Induction Cooktop with the best wattage
- Identify the type of cooking. If you are buying it for the general cooking purposes for your family, it is advised to go for the higher wattage Induction Cooktop such as 2000W or more. If you are planning to cook fries and semi-dry foods occasionally, it is better to go for an Induction Cooktop with a medium range of wattage such as 1500W or 1800W. This will save you more electricity and cost you less money.
- Check the range of wattage available for cooking. Most of the brands provide a wide option to select a particular wattage from the control panel of the Induction Cooktop. You should check it well as it might open up large options for cooking various foods.
- The Induction Cooktop you select, should have a pre-customized cooking option. The Philips Viva Collection HD4928/01 2100-Watt Induction Cooktop has options for Roti/Dosa, Stir Fry, Gravy, Slow Cook, Pressure Cook, and Manual selection. All these options have a pre-selected range of wattage to ease the cooking procedure. With such a facility, anyone can cook the food without prior knowledge.
- The Timer Setting can also add an advantage to the cooking procedure. For cooking a particular recipe, you can adjust the timer to a certain wattage. Within the set time, the cooktop can take care of the cooking while you are away.
- Always use a Cooking Pot/ Cookware made of stainless steel or Iron. As the Induction Cooktop works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, it requires ferromagnetic material for cooking. Cookware like Prestige Omega Deluxe Induction Base Non-Stick Kitchen Set is ideal for cooking on an Induction Cooktop.
So, in conclusion, we can find that buying an Induction Cooktop with higher wattage is more useful in the long run. With higher wattage, various options will open up to you and cooking will be easier for you using an Induction Cooktop. Check the Best way to use an Induction Cooktop. The Best Wattage for Induction Cooktop to cook Indian Recipe is more than 2000 watt range. Philips Viva Collection HD4938/01 2100 Watt Induction Cooktop is the Top Induction Cooktop we have found in Indian Market. It comes with most of the premium features with superior performance and design that will enhance the elegance of the kitchen as well as improve the user experience.