Both an OTG oven and a microwave oven have their distinctive features and aspects which set them apart from the other. In this comparative analysis of microwave and OTG, we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each product. The cooking mechanisms employed in these devices decrease the amount of human effort required while saving time in the cooking as well.
Firstly, we need to address that although both these devices have their differences, they have certain similarities as well. The cooking mechanism is what sets them apart from each other. An OTG (oven-toaster-griller) is ideal for baking and grilling purposes. A convection microwave oven is good for all microwave oven purposes, along with roasting, grilling, baking.
If you are planning on buying any one of these products, you must gather all the necessary information about each. Only then, can you properly assess which will be the ideal one to buy? This article has been written to help you with the same. Now, let us dive deep into the analysis of microwave oven vs OTG.
- Difference between Microwave Oven and OTG
- OTG: Comparable Advantages, Disadvantages & Uses
- Microwave Ovens: Comparative Pros, Cons & Uses
OTG and Microwave Oven Difference
|Machine||OTG||Convection Microwave Oven|
|Working Method||Transforms electric energy into heat via heating elements for the cooking process.||Uses both microwave and convection cooking techniques for its working.|
|Application of Heat||Applies heat directly to the food.||There is no direct application of heat to the food.|
|Operations||Cannot perform the basic microwave operations like reheating and defrosting of food.||Can perform the basic microwave operations like reheating and defrosting of food.|
|Cost||Less expensive than a convection microwave oven.||More expensive than an OTG.|
|Availability of Rotisserie||Rotisserie is provided with all models.||Rotisserie is not provided.|
|Preheating||Requires a lot of preheating time, 15-minutes to be precise.||Only requires around 5-minutes of preheating.|
Read out more comparative details of these features with benefits and disadvantages of each in the following sections.
Comparable Attributes of an Oven-Toaster-Griller (OTG)
Next in microwave vs OTG difference, is the OTG which is a short term for Oven-Toaster-Griller. Although it might look similar to a microwave oven it varies a lot concerning the cooking mechanism it employs along with its capabilities. An OTG is ideal for baking purposes and is indeed most commonly used at a bakery or household.
A standout feature of an OTG is the cooking mechanism that is used in the product. The oven has heating elements, present at both the top and bottom of its cavity. These rods convert electric energy into heat to apply direct heat to the food. This makes the oven ideal for baking.
- An OTG is ideal for baking purposes. The direct application of heat to the food makes the food browner, which is much desired by a baker.
- Most models have added rotisserie in the packaging to make the handling of the baked foods easier for the user.
- OTG has a very limited application. Although it is ideal for baking and even barbeque, basic microwave oven functions like reheating and defrosting of food cannot be done.
- An OTG has a long preheating time, with most models requiring about 15-minutes to preheat. This stretches the cooking time significantly.
- It can be used for baking food. The cooking mechanism produces browner and crispier foods.
- It can be used for barbeque as well with heating elements present at both the top and bottom of the cavity.
- An OTG can also be used for toasting food.
Now raises the question, which is the best OTG to buy as a lot of options are available to choose from. Popular user feedback finds the Bajaj Majesty 1603T 16-litre OTG as ideal.
The product has a capacity of 16-liters enclosed in a stainless steel and powder coated body. The OTG is capable of baking, grilling, and toasting along with an added rotisserie and auto shut-off technology in the timer. It has a warranty of 1-year along with a 10-day full refund guarantee.
Comparative Features of a Convection Microwave Oven
In this article about microwave convection oven vs OTG, let us first look at the convection microwave oven. A convection microwave oven is an upgrade on the solo and grill variants in respect of its capabilities and features. A convection microwave oven is capable of all basic microwave oven operations along with baking, roasting, grilling, etc.
One feature that sets the convection microwave oven apart from the other two is the mechanism it uses for the cooking. The oven uses both microwave and convection oven features for the cooking thus making the food browner and better.
- A user can easily roast, bake, and grill your food along with the basic microwave oven operations. A convection microwave oven is even capable of making brown and crisp foods.
- Since it uses both microwave and convection technology, the cavity is heated pretty fast, which significantly reduces the cooking time.
- It is pretty expensive to afford for most families. To be precise it is the most expensive one among the three types of microwave ovens.
- Although you can cook an entire meal using the convection microwave oven, you can only cook one meal at a time. This is a common disadvantage for all microwave ovens.
- It can be used to grill, bake, and roast food. Users can even use it for making the food browner and crispier.
- Basic microwave operations like reheating and defrosting of food can be done using this type of microwave oven.
- Metal utensils can be used for the cooking process along with the microwave-proof ones.
There are quite a lot of brands but which product will be the best one to buy? Popular user feedback deems the IFB 20-litre microwave oven that makes it ideal for most of your cooking. Also, a touch-keypad is provided with 24 auto cook menu options. Both the time and temperature of the cooking are controllable along with a child-lock system. A 1-year warranty is provided on the product along with a 3-year warranty on the cavity.
You May Also Like: Air Fryer vs Microwave oven
So, which is better- Microwave Oven or OTG?
So, finally, coming to the conclusion of the long comparison, you may be wondering about which one can suit you the most. It absolutely depends on the needs of the user. If you want to use these ovens only for baking, toasting and grilling operations an OTG would be ideal for you. For more advanced operations, a microwave oven can suit you better.
However, if possible, you may like to have an OTG in your kitchen along with a convection microwave oven. This will give your cooking a lot of versatility while ensuring good quality.
You can even go for other products apart from the recommended one if you find the features matching your needs. Just remember to do a proper analysis of all aspects of the product before the purchase.