So you have clothes with reputed designer labels in your closet. But this does not necessarily mean you will look good in them. Perfect fitting and proper care ensure that you look good in the fabrics. While the ideal fitting is a discussion for another day, let’s discuss the caring part. More precisely, let’s focus on handling the wrinkles in your garments.
So what can you do to remove such unwanted wrinkles? Well, steaming or ironing your clothes are the two options. But which one is the better alternative? That is the answer we will search for as we take a look at steaming vs. ironing clothes.
Steaming vs Ironing: At A Glance
|Garment Steaming||Ironing Clothes|
|Water is essential for a steamer to function.||Unless it is a steam iron, an iron operates without water.|
|Ideal for jackets, coats, etc.||Iron is ideal for everyday shirts and pants. Ironing is best for formal clothes.|
|A steamer is a very lightweight appliance.||Irons are heavier than steamers.|
|Clothes are hanged while being steamed.||Clothes are laid out during ironing.|
|Creases are challenging to handle using a steamer.||Handle creases easily when ironing your clothes.|
Garment Steaming – The Applicability and Benefits
A steamer uses the application of moisture or steam for its operation. Materials like silk, synthetics, wool, velvet are heat sensitive. Applying direct heat to such clothes for flattening is a bit risky. This is where a steamer comes in handy.
Uses of Garment Steamers
The usage of steam in the device removes the risks associated with directly applying heat on the garments. Modern designs of the device even have temperature controls that allow efficient working. The device itself has a variety of uses. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- A garment steamer is ideal for cleaning your jackets, coats, shirts, etc. and removing the wrinkles. Just hang the garment and use the device in a downward motion. The device, held at a minimum distance from the garments, possess zero risks of any damage to the fabrics.
- Upholstery is efficiently cleaned using a garment steamer. The application of steam at a particular force breaks down the stains from the surface. Once done, your sofa or recliner chair would be clean as new.
- Another unconventional use of a garment steamer is the cleaning of drapes. This use, however, is not suited for drapes that are meant for dry cleaning only. The device breaks down the stains and efficiently removes the odor. You can expect to flatten the wrinkles in your drape with a little more effort if any.
- Much like the curtains, you can clean your carpets as well. The warm steam force breaks the stains quickly and gets rid of all germs and foul odor.
- Today, sanitization is vital in all homes, and a garment steamer aides you in the same. The warm steam kills all bacteria and germs from the surface it is applied on. Use the device to sanitize your rooms, upholstery, bathrooms, and cars.
Benefits from Steaming Clothes
- There are significantly low risks of damaging your clothes. The device needs to be held at a minimum distance from the fabric surface to steam your clothes. The absence of direct application of heat prevents any damages.
- Steaming helps kill bacteria and remove odor from your clothes. Once you finish with the process, the clothes are fresh as new.
- The entire process of steaming your clothes does not involve the use of any chemicals. The natural operation helps preserve the health of your clothes better.
- You can carry out the process safely. The steaming equipment is designed such that your grip is away from the heat source. As such, there are no risks of accidents.
Tips for Steaming garments
Steamers are available in varying sizes and with different features. Based on your requirements, you need to choose the ideal one form the lot. Like most appliances, it takes some time to use a steamer efficiently. The following are some tips that will help you when using one.
- Select a steamer model that has temperature control. Different fabrics react differently to the application of heat. Having varying temperatures will prevent damages regardless of the garment type.
- Suppose the wrinkles are too tough to remove, steam from inside the garment. This will effectively remove all the wrinkles.
- When it comes to jackets, coats, blazers, or even shirts, steaming is the better option than ironing. Remember to hang the garments before steaming for the best results.
- Steam Output Of upto 21 gm/min for effective steaming of garments
- Vertical Steam Facility for easy wrinkle removal, One Button Usage: For your Convenience and Ease
- Detachable Fabric Brush with Lint removal Facility
- Overheat Shutoff Thermostat for safety
- Indicator Lamp for power ON/OFF
- Warranty- 2 years
- Anti drip (Yes/No) : No, Spray(Yes/No): Yes, Steam burst(Yes/No): Yes
- Auto shut off (Yes/No) : yes
- Body : ABS Plastic
- Cord current capacity(Amperes) : 10 Amperes
The Usha Techne garment steamer comes with a non-detachable 200 ml water tank to provide continuous steam. A brush accessory is present for more rigid fabrics. Enjoy the device’s portability and the 2-years manufacturer’s warranty.
Ironing Clothes – Application and Advantages
Ironing is the next alternative when it comes to caring for your clothes. This one is an age-old practice. At some point in our lives, we have all been familiar with ironing. In this segment, we will specifically talk about ironing.
When it comes to pressing our clothes, moisture is an essential element. In the case of ironing, the user provides this moisture. Let’s take a look at some of the applicability of ironing.
Application of Ironing
- Ironing is ideal for pressing formal shirts and pants for everyday use. Spray a little water on the clothes and press them correctly. Remove all the wrinkles along with foul odor efficiently.
- It can get rid of all bacteria and germs from your clothes. Once done, your dresses are as fresh as new.
- On a cold night, you can press your bed sheet with care. Spread the sheet on your mattress and enjoy a warm sleep.
Benefits of ironing Clothes
Much like a steaming, ironing has also certain advantages. Some of these benefits are mentioned below.
- An iron is generally built with a very lightweight design. This feature adds to the portability of the device. Pack the iron in your bags easily and enjoy freshly pressed clothes anywhere.
- Using the device is very simple. Plug it in and spray some water on the clothes. Press the clothes carefully for the best results. If you are new to ironing, dry iron is the device to start with.
- Modern designs of irons come with temperature control. Different fabrics are suited to different temperatures. Based on the requirement, adjust the temperature on your device and press it efficiently.
Tips for Ironing
When using an iron, make sure you do not let it rest on the cloth for a long time. This poses the risk of damaging the fabric. The following tips also come in handy while using the device.
- Make sure the garment is spread out on a flat surface. This can be an ironing table or any flat surface. In case of a random flat surface, spread out a towel. Iron your garment after spreading them over this towel efficiently.
- Garments made of leather or velvet are not suited for ironing. These materials melt under the application of heat.
- Do not spray a lot of water on the garment before ironing it. Two sprays are enough. Use additional sprays only if the cloth is a large one.
- This product does not require installation. Please contact brand customer care for any product related queries
- Light weight and non-stick PTFE coated sole plate
- Cool touch body, Temperature Control: Yes, Indicator Light: Yes, Spray: No, Steam Burst: No
- Thermostat for accurate temperature control
- Easy ironing under buttons. Self Cleaning : Yes
- Warranty: 1 year on product
- Power: 1000 watts
- Operating voltage: 240 volts
- Contact_us on: [ 18001033111 ]
There are quite a lot of options for irons to choose from in the market. But Usha’s EI 1602 model stands out amongst the rest. The soleplate of this device has a non-stick PTFE coating. A thermostat efficiently controls the temperature of the device, and auto cleaning acts as a worthy addition. You can rely on the brand to provide durable products.
Also Read: The Best Dry Irons in India
Steaming and Ironing – Uses and Benefits
The beautiful thing about innovation is that there is a middle ground available for every conflict. It is the same when it comes to garment steaming vs. ironing. This middle ground is in the form of the innovative steam iron.
Application of Steaming and Ironing together
Like the name suggests, a steam iron works by using the principles of both a steamer and a dry iron. The user fills cold water in the water tank. Pores provided on the sole allow you to apply the steam on the garments; after spraying the steam, iron your clothes.
Much like the dry iron and the garment steamer, a steam iron has quite a few uses. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- Clothes made from most fabrics can be pressed using such a machine. The temperature control allows the user to set a specific suitable temperature. Spray the steam and iron your garments efficiently.
- Hang your coats and blazer using a hanger. Spray the warm steam on them to remove the wrinkles. This action is much like that of the steamer.
- To a certain extent, you can use it to sanitize your upholstery. Once you are done pressing your clothes, rest assured, they are free of any bacteria or germs.
Benefits of Steaming and Ironing
Affording a steam iron is an expensive alternative. Hence, there are quite a few benefits to using one. These benefits are listed below.
- It is compatible with almost all kinds of fabrics. Wool, for instance, is an unsuitable material to press using dry irons. Press your woolen garments efficiently using the steam counterpart.
- All models of such machines come equipped with auto shut-off technology. If the device lies unused for a specific time, it shuts down automatically. This feature significantly reduces the health risks associated with the device.
- Like the auto shut-off technology, the devices are equipped with auto-clean features as well. Hence, cleaning the apparatus is not a hassle by any means.
- These also come with varying temperature control options. Based on the fabric type, you can select the ideal temperature and press the garments.
Tips for Steaming and Ironing
Getting used to such a machine may take a little bit of time. The following tips will help you when using the device.
- Use clean, distilled water to fill the water tank. This will increase the durability of the device. Do not use any chemicals or softeners in the water.
- For the more severe wrinkles, apply steam from the inside. Then press the garment generally from the outside.
- Keep applying the steam frequently while pressing. This will allow you to get the best results.
- To Prevent Water Leakage, keep the iron horizontal when not in use, do not fill water completely, leave some gap and wait for some time for the iron to heat up before using the iron
- Easy and super fast filling of the watertank,Easy and super fast emptying of the watertank,A fine spray evenly moistens the fabric
- Continuous steam output up to 13 g/min,Aluminium soleplate for easy gliding on all fabrics. Steam Burst: Yes, Variable steam settings: Yes
- Warranty: 2 years on product,Power: 1440 watts ; Power Input: 240V and Frequency: 50 Hz ; Water tank capacity: 180ml ; Power cord length: 1.8m ; Calc clean solution: Self clean
- Knob should always be at no steam position when product is not in use. Second and third setting is used only when soleplate is hot. Otherwise leakage will happen
Steam iron is pretty much in demand today as many such brands are bringing forth the best products. Of the lot, the Philips GC1905 is a favorite with the masses. The product has a water tank capacity of 180ml, along with auto shut down technology. Steam output of 13gm/min and the steam burst technology aides in a more efficient process.
Also Read: The Best Steam Iron in India
Steaming vs Ironing – Conclusion
By now, you hopefully have some insight into garment steamers and irons. If not, then go through the article one more time. The usefulness of each device varies from person to person. Based on your requirements, you need to make the purchase. It is you who can decide the winner in steaming vs. ironing clothes.
Last update on 2020-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API