The step ladder is common furniture that can be seen around the home and the workplace. People use step ladder for a lot of purposes around them. We are offering you a guide on how to use a step ladder safely.
Don't take your safety for granted. It is such a simple tool that you tend to ignore safety precautions. A step ladder is used in different tasks around us. You can use a step ladder for changing bulbs, handing pictures. Putting something on the upper shelf or getting something from a certain height.
What is a step ladder?
A step ladder is a type of ladder that is used as a support platform. It is in the form of an inverted V. You can use these self-supporting ladders at home. The best step ladders in India are foldable and easy to store. They need less maintains. People use it to work on their ceilings. For paintings, changing bulbs, repair upper shelves. Keep and pick stuff from a certain height. It had become an essential tool for homes.
You should only use it when it's wide open and locked. It has to be on a plain and even surface. You should store your ladder in the storage area. Don't keep anything above it, or it might crack or break. While using it in a public place, keep it secure and tied. Protect the surroundings with barricades and tapes.
It will be safer for the public to stay away from where the ladders are in use. They can fall on the people, or people can trip with the ladder. Take care of yourself and your close ones.
Why should you take precautions to use a ladder?
Working from heights is always a little dangerous. You can fall down. Falling can result in a fracture or big injury. It can be hazardous for you. It's necessary to take precautions while working with a ladder. Sometimes accidents can cause fatal injuries. Ladder falling is not the only reason.
Your ladder can break while working. It can trip or slip while you are working. They could go sideways if you inclined towards one side more than the other. Don't go too much on the top, or you can fall over if you haven't taken enough precautions. The more purposes the ladder solves, the more risk it is to use a ladder. So, use them cautiously.
There are a lot of reasons to know how to use a step ladder safely. So, that you and your loved ones don't get injured. You can use the three-point touch formula to ensure safety and precautions. Sometimes you overreach or push your ladder while standing on it. It can go sideways and slide. In that case, tie your ladder before stepping up. Your main concern while using a ladder should be safety. Don't go any higher than recommended height. The ladder should be stable, and you can place your feet firmly on the ladder.
Foldable step ladders are easier to use than extension ladders. Compare step and extension ladders to know more differences about them.
The load capacity of step ladders
There are a lot of varieties available in the market. You need to make sure you buy the right type of step ladder for your purpose. A range of step ladders from industrial to household tools is available. You have to check for the right kind of ladder. The things you need to consider before buying are very important.
Check the height of your ladder and if it is compatible with your height. You need to know how much weight your ladder can handle. The most important is that it should fit your purpose of buying it for your workspace or home. Not its specification, but the material used for the creation is also important.
There are many types of materials available for designing step ladders. Materials used to make the ladders are wood, aluminium, iron, steel, and fiberglass. Industrial ladders have a load capacity of 250 lbs and a heavy rating. For farms, a 225 lbs weight hold capacity ladder is available in the market. Household tasks come in the lightweight category so; they can handle 220 lbs of weight. There is special-duty and heavy-duty ladders available in the market. They can handle more than 300 lbs of weight. So, while buying, keep the weight of the user and the tools he uses in mind.
The height of the ladder is usually around 3' to 20'. You can buy the one you need. How much height do you want to reach? You can buy the ladder according to your need.
How to use a Step ladder safely and comfortably?
- You need to keep in mind a lot of important things before using a step ladder. Always buy the right ladder for the job. The ladder should be able to handle the weight of the person using it. It should be able to handle all the equipment.
- Check the ladder before and after use. Check if the screws are loose or intact. Always ask for help before moving the ladder. Also, have someone to hold the ladder if you're picking any heavy stuff.
- Use a plain surface. A slant surface can lead to falling off the ladder that can cause an injury. Wear shoes or slippers that are clean. Any grease or mud can cause tripping or slipping off the ladder.
- When picking up heavy stuff from a height, always use help. Don't bring it back in your hand. Either give the heavy things to your supporter or use a rope. It could be dangerous to use heavy stuff.
- Don't overstretch yourself against the ladder's rail. You should never step on the top of the ladder. It could shift the center of gravity, and you can fall down. Ensure the locking mechanism is in place.
- Always have three-point physical contacts maintained with the ladder. Usually two feet and one hand. It will ensure your safety and protect you from any hazardous situation. Sometimes you have to hold the things in both of your hands. Maintain your three-point contact with your knees instead of your hands. If you can't follow the three-point contact, find another way to bring things down.
- Place your ladder at a side corner in your home or workplace. The ladder could fall down if not put at the right angle. Foldable step-up ladders are lightweight and easy to use. You have to be careful while unfolding and folding a step ladder. Any step, if not open, can result in a fall.
- Store your ladder where they are not exposed to extreme weather conditions. Clean them regularly to save them from rust.
- Check the hinges and grease them. Keep in mind to give support to your ladder and keep them along with the shelves. Never use a defective ladder. Immediately give it for repair or dispose of it. It is very risky to use a defective ladder.
- Always use the stepladder while facing your work. Don't stand sideways or opposite to your working site. It can be dangerous for you.
- Always inspect for bents, damage before using the ladder. Cracked, worn out, or loose ladders can result in a very serious accident. Avoid getting on the ladder if you observe any missing screws.
- The most important aspect to check is the load rating. You shouldn't overweight the ladder than recommended. Don't use a step ladder that is too short for you to reach. The recommended height is 3 ft while using a step ladder.
They are very easy to use. But precautions are to be used on every step. Never work in a hurry. Take your time while stepping up on the ladder. Do not use a ladder regularly if you have some work for long hours. For example, Painting the ceiling with a ladder. Standing on the ladder for long hours can cause back pain and restlessness. Also, if you lose focus for a minute, it could result in a tragedy.
Safe Use of A Step Ladder: Conclusion
You should do a proper risk assessment before starting to work. Check the work you are going to do by using the ladder. Check and inspect the ladder. Each end of the ladder should be checked. Not only a ladder, but the person who is going to use the ladder should be in healthy condition.
You have to keep the points mentioned above in your mind while using a step ladder. A small mistake can lead to a lifelong tragedy. Life is too short to waste by taking safety measures for granted. All the precautions should be taken before starting the work. Step ladders a very handy tool. They are easy and comfortable to use.
In most cases, the easier they are, the equal level of risk is associated with them. Step ladders have wide step space to keep your foot from aching. It is very necessary to learn how to use a step ladder safely.