A water purifier is an extremely essential part of our lives which should never be neglected. Water that is free of pollutants and contaminants is very difficult to find these days and thus the rising need and importance of water purifiers in our lives.
An RO purifier or a reverse osmosis water purifier is one that helps in eliminating various kinds of pollutants and contaminants which are present in the water and thus purifying it and making it fit for drinking. The best water purifiers in India have different stages for filtering the water and making it completely safe for drinking.
Installing an RO water purifier is not a tough task but cleaning and maintaining one is where the real challenge lies. The RO water purifiers must be cleaned properly and in a systematic procedural way.
Why Is Cleaning of water purifier Necessary?
Cleaning an RO water purifier is an essential part of possessing an RO water purifier. This is because the main reason for having an RO water purifier is to get healthy and clean water for drinking. Thus, a dirty RO water purifier does not give you water that is fit for drinking. The various filters available in the RO water purifier works continuously and hence becomes dirty. Cleaning becomes a necessity in such times.
Although the frequency of cleaning the RO water purifier depends upon how impure the source of water is, the filters need to be cleaned within 6 to 12 months of use. A high level of TDS demands more frequent intervals of cleaning the RO filters as the heavy metal residue is caught up by the filters and can deteriorate its functioning in the long term. Thus, in waters with a high level of TDS, the cleaning needs to be done as frequently as 3 months. Checking out the drinking water TDS level chart and adjusting it in a suitable range would help the user having a healthy lifestyle.
The condition of the RO filters is what acts as an indicator for cleaning the RO water purifier as filters are the most primary part of an RO water purifier. The filters and membranes are worn out when they get very dirty and call for cleaning. Moreover, a change in the taste of water also indicates the need for thorough cleaning of the RO water purifier. Other than these, the difference in water pressure is also what indicates that it is time for cleaning the filter.
Step-By-Step Process To Clean RO Water Purifier filters
The first thing which you must know before cleaning an RO water purifier is that there are several different types of filters present in the RO water purifier. In general, RO water purifiers have 6 or 7 stages of purifying the water, and the presence of filters acts as a catalyst to this process. The several filters in a RO water purifier are:
- Sediment Filter: the first filter which begins to trap the larger impurities, located right outside the water purifying appliance.
- Activated Carbon Filter: there are usually two activated carbon filters in an RO water purifier that removes salts like chlorine and removes the putrid odour from the water.
- RO Membrane: this membrane is what removes the TDS and heavy metals from the water and is hence the most important part of a water purifier. This membrane needs to be clean with the utmost care.
- UF Membrane: this membrane catches the remaining tiny molecules which manage to escape the RO membrane.
The requirements of cleaning the RO filters include soft water and diluted cleaning chemicals. The tools needed for cleaning the RO filter are a reverse osmosis cleaning pump, tank cooler, tank mixer & a reverse osmosis cleaning cartridge filter.
How to Clean a Water Purifier at Home?
The entire cleaning process of a RO water purifier system is a systematic step by step process. These steps are:
- Switch off the main water supply system so that the water does not splash around when you are cleaning.
- Turn off any water line running towards the icemaker or refrigerator.
- Empty the water storage tank or otherwise drain out the entire water from the container through the faucet of the system. Close the faucet once the water is drained completely.
- Disconnect the membrane housing to avoid damaging it with the cleaning agent. Drain out all the water present in the housing before removing the membrane.
- Dilute the chemical cleaning agents which you are using to clean the RO water purifier.
- Clean all the chemicals present in the system with soft water.
- Clean the system housing system with a soap solution and use a bottle brush to clean it thoroughly.
- Use a diluted chemical cleaner for cleaning the RO membrane very carefully.
- Check the condition of the O rings and then decide whether the ring needs to replace or not. Dried up O rings can be treated back to normalcy with water-based lubricants.
- After cleaning everything, dispose of the chemical cleaning agent thoroughly.
- Now, reinstall the housing back into the system.
- Mount back all the filters in their respective places.
- Connect the main valve again and open it to allow the water to flow.
- Switch on the RO water purifier system. And check for any leakages.
- Fill up the tank and then flush the entire system again to wash away all the detergent, chemicals, and other cleaning agents completely.
- Now refill the tank and get it back to use.
Precautionary Measures for cleaning a water purifier
However, there are certain precautionary measures that you must take when cleaning the RO water purifier system. These measures are:
- Maintain the pH value of the cleaning agents. Make sure they are diluted.
- Use soft water only.
- Turn off the RO water purifier before opening up the system.
- Close all the valves and water supplies before beginning the cleaning procedure.
- Completely drain the storage tank before beginning to clean.
- Fill up and drain the tank at least twice before beginning to use the RO system again.
Tips for maintenance of RO Purifier System
Some effective tips which you must consider when cleaning your RO water purifier system are:
- In case you are looking forward to replacing your old filters, do not remove the parts before they are replaced.
- Wash your hands properly before detaching all the parts of the RO water purifier. Then, wash your hands again before you begin to clan the entire system.
- If your RO water purifier is connected to any other equipment make sure you have shut down all the lines connected to it.
- Wear a glove when cleaning the RO water purifier with a chemical cleaning agent.
- Before using the RO water purifier again, clean the system thoroughly so that all the leftover chemicals and cleaning agents are rinsed off completely.
A reverse osmosis water purifier is essential equipment that most people around the globe possess. Although it is easier and a better option to call a professional for cleaning your RO system.
However, you can also clean the RO water purifier on your own at home by following all the stems and also abiding by the precautionary rules of how to clean a water purifier at home. Following additional steps is also important so that you do not make any mistakes and are successful in cleaning your RO water purifier.
- Aqua Ultra Water Purifier Reviews
- Best Hard Water Softeners in India
- Best Water Tank Overflow Alarms in India
Hi, I am Soumya, editor-in-chief at Homeplace. Being a mechanical engineer with more than 7 years of working experience in various industries, I am an expert in this field of consumer products. I decided to combine all my experience blended with scientific analysis and research done by our team into this blog. Comment below or contact me if you have any query.