With the touch of technology, work in the kitchen has been made a lot easier. A food processor is one such appliance that is designed for a lot of kitchen work including slicing, dicing, mixing, cutting, etc. Many brands produce different food processor types for users.
If you plan to buy one, you might face the dilemma which type of food processor to buy. There are generally three variants of food processors available in the Indian market. These are manual, mini and full-sized food processor. Out of these, the latter two require electric power to operate.
This article will shed light on the different food processors. We will take a look at the uses along with the advantages and disadvantages of these food processors. A recommendation for each variant is also provided to help the user with the purchase.
Type-1: Manual Food Processor
A manual food processor is the least expensive and the most common food processor that you can find in many kitchens. Manual labor is essential to work with the appliance without the application of any electric power. It is ideal if the cooking requires little ingredients.
Depending on the design of the appliance, you can either pull a cord or use a turning handle for the workings. It is the most portable and easy to store the type of food processor that you can find. The blades of the machine form the heart of its operation.
The appliance is very capable of slicing, dicing, mincing, and even blending ingredients in little amounts. You can even beat eggs and mix ingredients in small quantities using the device. You can progress with these workings at your own pace with ease.
There are quite a few advantages when it comes to using a manual food processor. Some of these are as follows.
- Since the device works with manual labor, you can stop the operation in between to check the progress. This is an advantage that is not present in the electric models.
- The manual nature also allows you to work at your own pace. Take your time with the processing or even do it in between your household works if you want.
- The capacity of the kitchen appliance is ideal if you have a family of 3-4 members which is less than the mini and full-sized ones. This is ideal if the cooking requires little ingredients and also helps to handle the appliance easier.
- It is comparatively less expensive than the other food processors.
A manual food processor also has its fair share of disadvantages. Some of these disadvantages are listed below.
- As mentioned before, the capacity of a manual food processor is smaller than the other variants. This can be an issue if the cooking requires quite a lot of ingredients. The processing in these instances need to be done in batches or the ingredients need to be stuffed forcefully into the bowl. This might affect the efficiency of the appliance and the quality of the output produced.
- A manual food processor consumes the most time and effort in its working. The time required for the processing depends solely on the individual operating the appliance. Hence, the processing might affect the overall preparation time of the food.
- There is an issue that the machine might not result in the required sizes after cutting. This is because of the blade type. Although some models come with a set of different blades, it is extremely rare. When it comes to cutting, the manual food processor might fail to keep up with the consistent size of the cuts.
- Users have reported issues with the blade as well. The blades are attached in the inside of the bowl. In some cases, users have reported that the blade attachment gets out of place when larger ingredients are added. This propels the user to manually reset the blade, which for certain is a risky deal.
These advantages and disadvantages play their part in decorating the reputation of the product. You can find manual food processors in many households. According to the users in India, the best model they have used is the Wonderchef Turbo dual-speed food processor.
If you buy this kitchen appliance online, the package contains two products, a chopper, and a manual food processor. The machine has dual speed features and two gear settings for speed. Sharp stainless steel blades are provided for efficient chopping, cutting, slicing, etc. You can also enjoy the four settings in the slicer-dicer disks.
It is also efficient when it comes to whipping, eggs, yogurt, mixing dough, etc. The chopper provided in the package is also pretty efficient in its working. If you like to eat meat frequently or prepare it on a large scale, you may like a good commercial meat slicer.
Type-2: Mini Electric Food Processor
The next type of food processor is the mini food processor. It has an increased capacity than a manual machine and its usage of electric power saves a lot of effort and time. For this reason, this food processor is preferred by most families.
The product has a motor enclosed in a shaft. A durable and transparent bowl is present over the shaft while a lid with a feeder tube is placed over the bowl. Ingredients are added using this tube. The device can be connected to a power source using a cord. Different speed options are also provided in the model for the ease of the user.
The product is capable of cutting, slicing, dicing operations. Additional apparatus provided in the package makes it capable of beating eggs, mixing dough, preparing mixtures, etc. You can use the kitchen appliance to make delicious smoothies as well.
Like every other appliances, mini food processors has certain advantages and disadvantages. Let us first take a look at the advantages.
- The capacity of the machine is ideal for an average-sized family. The capacity is generally larger than that of a manual variant. This makes it easier for the user to work with more ingredients.
- Since the working does not require any manual labor, it saves a lot of time and effort. You can simply add the ingredients to the bowl and trust the food processor to do its work. This helps a lot in speeding up the cooking process.
- The kitchen appliance, if manufactured from a reputed brand, can easily be trusted to be durable. These models have better motors and are crafted using durable materials. This helps in improving the lifespan of the product.
- Some models even come with accessories for mixing dough, slicing, and dicing. You can simply attach these accessories to the processors for efficient working. This reduces a lot of tedious work in the kitchen.
There are certain disadvantages as well when it comes to mini food processors. These are listed below.
- The machine works with electricity. Unavailability of electric power will stop the working of the appliance. This can be a problem if your location is prone to power cuts or you are facing a power cut at the time of cooking. Such a situation can completely stall the cooking process.
- Since electrical power is used, the product needs proper maintenance for your safety. If water somehow reaches the underlying electrical components, it can cause the product to malfunction and even injure some with an electric shock.
- In the case of an electric mini food processor, you cannot pause the processing in between to check the progress. You can either wait until the entire process is finished or completely switch off the machine in the middle of processing. The latter can have a toll on the machine’s durability.
Many reputed brands manufacture a mini food processor. From the many options available in the Indian market, users find the Philips Daily Collection 650-watt mini food processor as the ideal one for the kitchens.
The product has a 650-watt power consumption with about 240V power requirements. The product has a 2.1-liter bowl capacity along with a jar capacity of 1-litre. Stainless steel blades add to the efficiency of the food processor. Stainless steel disc inserts are also present in the body of the machine. The power chop technology is ideal for cutting operations while the product is also ideal for mixing, beating eggs, etc.
Type-3: Full-sized Electric Food Processor
Next is the full-sized food processor with the largest bowl capacity amongst the lot. This food processor needs electrical power to operate and the increased capacity than the others makes it ideal for larger families and restaurants. This type of food processor is also pretty expensive because of its additional features than the others.
The structure of a full-sized food processor is quite similar to the mini-sized variant. The motor is the most crucial component while the blades, the bowl, and lid with the feeding tube make up the rest of the body.
Additional apparatuses are also provided for mixing, blending, dicing, etc. Most variants have different speed settings as well for efficient working. The different speed options in the processor also help to efficiently make shakes, mixtures, etc. Some of the models are even ideal for grating coconuts and other vegetables.
When it comes to advantages, a full-sized food processor has almost the same ones like that of a mini food processor. Some of these are as follows.
- The increased bowl capacity makes the machine for cooking with more ingredients. Even the feeding tube has an increased size so that the ingredients can be added with ease. This makes the food processor ideal for large families or restaurants.
- This type of food processor generally has quite a lot of speed options. These allow the processing to be carried out seamlessly within a shorter time.
- Good quality material used to craft the body of the device makes it durable. If proper maintenance is provided, most of these processors can last a long time.
There are a few disadvantages as well when it comes to full-sized food processors. They are as follows.
- The products have significant power consumption. Hence, you are working with little ingredients, it might be deemed a misuse of capacity and energy.
- Its electrically-operated nature propels it to stop working when power is not available thus stalling the cooking process.
- Improper maintenance can easily lead to the device malfunctioning and in worse cases injuring the user with an electric shock.
With a lot of options available in the market, one can easily get confused as to which full-sized food processor to choose. According to surveys conducted in India, the Inalsa 700-Watt Wonder Maxie Plus V2 food processor is a favorite with the customers.
This model has a 1-liter bowl capacity along with an RPM speed of 3000. Several additional apparatus like grinding jar, chutney jar, egg whisk, etc. are provided with the package. Stainless steel blades decorate the device along with a wide feeding tube. The model has a 3-speed setting and works amazingly to save time and energy.
Those were the different food processor types and uses available in India. Today, many brands compete to produce the best products for users. Among the various options available in the market you can select anyone to be the ideal one. You can buy these food processors online or from the market in person. Before buying you must check the reviews the product has garnered.
There might be some confusion among Indian customers regarding a blender and a processor. While both these appliances have an almost similar working, they are widely different. A hand blender works best-using liquids and is used to create smoothies, pastes, etc. A food processor is ideal for cutting, mincing, dicing, and even mixing operations. Additional apparatuses are also provided with the machine to help in further operations.
Each food processor has its unique features and can be ideal based on the need of the user. So, before buying, it is important that you analyze your requirements properly. By following this procedure to buy a processor whose aspects and features may satisfy your requirements.
You May Also Like
- Benefits and Drawbacks of Mixer Grinder
- 8 Best Stand Mixers in India (Review & Buying Guide)
- How to use a Mixer Grinder?
- Best Hand Mixers in India
- Best Oil Extraction Machines in India
Soumya is the Editor-in-chief at Homeplace. Being an engineer by education with more than 6 years of working experience in various industries, he is an expert in this field of consumer products. Based on scientific analysis and research, he helps the Indian consumers with the best suggestions.