A household without a refrigerator is unthinkable. A refrigerator is necessary for storing foods and beverages in a healthy condition. The risk of foods getting expired or spoiled is less with a refrigerator. Due to the significant roles a refrigerator plays in our life, we should make the right choice while purchasing one.
Now commonly, you must be thinking about whether to buy a single door or double door refrigerator. This article will help you in knowing and comparing single door vs. double door refrigerators with their goods and bad.
Based on this knowledge, you can make your decision to buy the best refrigerator in India.
The Differences between Single and Double Door Refrigerators
We can find the key differences between a single door and a double door refrigerator based on 8 important factors and their impacts. Let’s check them out!
1. double door refrigerators draw more power than single door refrigerators
Single door refrigerators are designed with simple operating mechanisms. It works on a direct cooling method, due to which it consumes lesser power. The electricity bill also comes less with a single door refrigerator.
As compared to single door refrigerators, double door fridges consume more power. Due to its inbuilt automatic defrosting feature, it consumes approximately 30-40% higher power than single-door refrigerators. Besides that, its electronic fan system also raises the electricity bill. To lower the power consumption, always choose a refrigerator that works on inverter technology.
So, the power consumption factor is the primary consideration you must make in a single door vs. double door refrigerator.
2. Cleanliness and Freshness are well maintained in double door refrigerators
A double door refrigerator has automatic defrosting facilities, due to which it is automatic. But as opposed to this, a single door does not have auto-melting features, due to which you have to clean the refrigerator manually.
In this matter, double-door fridges maintain their freshness of food items because of their auto clean features. The cleanliness of your double-door refrigerator is more regular as compared to the single door refrigerator.
3. Single door refrigerators need less space to set up
Single door fridges don’t require much space in your kitchen to fit in the area. But compared to these, due to its larger shelves and the wider area, double door fridges consume a lot of space in an average kitchen.
It is approximately measured; then, the single door refrigerator takes about 30- 40 percent less space than the double door fridges. Here’s another worth considering the point for the single door vs. double door refrigerator comparison.
4. Double door refrigerators have a higher capacity range
The capacity of single door refrigerators is appropriate for nuclear families. And as compared to them, the double-door refrigerator can hold a lot of food items and vessels. Double door refrigerators have larger containers and heavy and large beverage bottles.
A single door refrigerator can hold a minimum of 150 liters and a usually maximum of 250 liters of food items. And as compared to them, double-door fridges can allocate food items up to 500 liters and even more depending on models. If you need a capacity of more than 500 liters, choose the best side by side refrigerator that will match your need perfectly.
5. Double door refrigerators cool faster than single door refrigerators
The operation of single door refrigerators is simply due to their direct cooling method. Single doors even have manual frost cleaning. In comparison to them, the double door refrigerators have advanced features. It has an auto defrost facility. The double door refrigerator also cools up faster because of its electronic fanning system. The freezer always remains cool to maintain the freshness of food items.
However, the electricity bill is higher with an electronic fan cooling system and auto melting features. You must consider this point to compare single door vs. double door refrigerators.
6. Single Doors are for small families, whereas double doors are for larger families
Do you have a nuclear family of about 2-3 members! Then the single-door fridge is for you. Single door fridges are appropriate for storing limited food items. Due to which they are lesser in price. But the main problem arises when you have more than 6-7 members in your family.
Then you can’t allocate foods in a single door refrigerator. Double door refrigerators are suitable for joint families when you have to store a greater quantity of food items and beverages.
7. Consider the size of the shelves inside fridge
The shelf sizes are also larger for a double-door refrigerator. You can store big vessels and larger bottles in a double-door fridge. Still, it leaves enough space for cooling inside the refrigerator. But such is not the case for angle door fridges. In a single-door fridge, you have to store smaller vessels. Otherwise, the shelves will look more congested and untidier.
8. Double door fridges cost higher than single door refrigerators
It’s apparent that a single door refrigerator has a lesser area and performs few functions. Therefore, the price is also less as compared to the double door fridge. It costs on an average Rs 20,000 or more based on brands.
But a double door refrigerator performs advanced functions, due to which the cost is much higher. Its spacious inner area, faster cooling facility, and auto frost melting features is the reason for its higher price.
You can’t expect a good double door refrigerator for less than 30,000/-. But since EMI features are always available, you can look for a double-door refrigerator if you can accommodate enough space.
Single door vs. double door refrigerator
|Features||Single door refrigerator||Double door refrigerator|
|Power Consumption||It consumes 30% less power than a double door refrigerator||This consumes more power which is higher than single door refrigerators.|
|Cleanliness||Manual cleaning is required||The frost-free function is present there.|
|Area Requirement||It takes up less space in the kitchen room.||It takes much more area than a single door.|
|Capacity||It holds up to 150-250 liters.||It holds up to 500 liters.|
|Cooling process||Direct cooling method||Frost-free technology with electronic fans.|
|Family size||This fridge suits 1-3 members of the family.||This fridge is good for 3-6 members of a family.|
|Size of the shelves||It has smaller shelves||The racks are more spacious.|
|Cost||These fridges are cheaper and affordable for an average family income family.||These fridges are expensive and also require high maintenance charges.|
Pros and cons of a single-door refrigerator
Among the sold value, single-door fridges are the most common one. So let’s see some of the pros of a single door fridge:
The Benefits to use a single door refrigerator
1. Single door fridges are maintained energy efficient. These fridges are also less power consuming, which is 30 to 40 percent less power consumption than the double door refrigerators.
2. It can load about 250 liters which are sufficient for 2-3 family members.
3. They are also affordable to buy. Any average income family can buy a single-door refrigerator which is about twenty to thirty thousand in price.
4. It occupies much less space in a room because of its limited intake capacity.
5. It saves electricity bills because it functions based on direct cool technology.
The Limitations of single door refrigerators
Since all goods have some low side, here are some of the cons of a single-door refrigerator. It will help you in your single door vs. double door refrigerator comparison.
1. The loading capacity is not sufficient for more than three people in a family. You can’t store more in a 250 liters fridge.
2. As mentioned earlier, it comes only with direct cool technology. Therefore, single door refrigerators do not have all kinds of facilities. A single-door refrigerator does not have frost-free benefits.
3. The cooling process of the freezing door is not as efficient as in a double-door refrigerator.
4. Though you directly do not waste energy, that does not mean that energy is not wasted much. Since it has only one door, when you open the door, too much heat goes inside the fridge, and energy is wasted.
5. Bugger containers and vessels are not fitted in a single refrigerator. Things are placed in a congested manner.
Pros and cons of a double door refrigerator
Double door refrigerators like Samsung’s convertible refrigerators are becoming the emerging choice for users nowadays. So, before comparing single door vs. double door refrigerators, here are some of the pros and cons of a fridge.
The Benefits of Double Door Refrigerators
For larger families, double-door refrigerators are the best. Some of the other advantages of double door refrigerator areas follow-
1. These types of fridges can easily accommodate 4-5 family members of a family.
2. Double door refrigerator can adjust larger containers and beverage bottles inside.
3. This type of refrigerator also supports frost-free technology, which is unlike single doors. You don’t have to clean the fridge manually with auto technologies.
4. This type of refrigerator is maximum in capacity. It can hold approx 300-500 liters of items.
5. The compartment of the freezer is also more extensive as compared to the regular single-door fridge.
The Limitations of Double Door Refrigerators
When comparing single door vs. double door refrigerators, you should also view some of the drawbacks of double-door refrigeration.
1. A small family with less than 4 members in a house would not require a double fridge refrigerator. For them, it’s unnecessary to pay such high amounts.
2. These types of fridges are higher in price which can charge you more than 20,000 INR at a time.
3. It takes a lot of space in your kitchen or dining area. The space it consumes is 30-40 percent extra than a door refrigerator.
4. You will have to pay more electricity bills due to the auto frost-free and auto cooling function.
Therefore, consider all these pros and cons of both single doors to double-door refrigerators and then make your wiser choice.
Single Door or Double Door Refrigerator? – Conclusion
Thus, the above comparison for single door vs. double door refrigerators has given you an in-depth understanding of both types. Simply, a single-door refrigerator is appropriate for smaller families and those who have a limited budget.
But if you have a more prominent family consisting of more than three members, you should think about buying a double-door refrigerator for your home.
If you have a large family with four or more members, you may like to check side by side refrigerators too. Compare side by side vs double door refrigerators to differentiate their advantages and limitations.
You may find some problems while using a refrigerator regardless of the type. Solve them to get your fridge working efficiently.